Friday, November 7, 2008

Yummy, Tapas!  Sean and I very much enjoy going here:

(Dev's on Bank Street in New London)

I have been waiting for our first "date night" since Sean got back from his underway and we had it tonight.  They have amazing things that I think I would like to try making sometime (though impossible to compare).  The proprietors are amazing and treat you like family.  My favorite item on their menu, "painted grapes"  (grapes covered in gorgonzola cheese then rolled in pecan bits and lightly drizzled with honey).  For the educational portion of my blog, "the original tapas were the slices of bread which wine drinkers in Andalusian taverns used to cover their glasses between sips.  This was a practical measure meant to prevent fruit flies from hovering over the sweet sherry.  But soon, enterprising bartenders were putting small snacks on the bread, and the lowly tapa (from tapa derived the verb tapar, "to cover") became as important as the wine."  

Anyway, in my spare time lately I've been writing two grants for a non-profit organization's summer camp.  It's part of an outgrowth of the grant writing class I've been taking in order to make myself more marketable and hopefully find a job.  It's definitely been a LOT more than I bargained for and I can safely say I'll never write grants for free again.  I think when you do some things for free people take you for granted more than they would if they were paying you even a nominal fee.  Little things you learn along the way...

2 comments:

rebecca said...

Oooh, I've never heard of that place. We'll have to check it out!

I didn't realize you were in CT too... are you in housing?

Devon said...

yea! Dev's! hehe... although i don't think i would much like the cheese covered grapes.... hmmmm...